Saturday, September 6, 2014

Module 2

Brittney McMurray

Module 2

When reading about workflow I thought of that exact word workflow, it made work flow better, made it more efficient, and reliable. It also made me think of how technology is today, machines helping out another machine, eliminating most human interaction. My example of work flow is any type of communication, its email, instant messaging or maybe the extreme of webcam. Think about communication 50 years ago. The phone and letters were the main way of communication and now “workflow” has upped that technology and probably will continue for many many years. I also think of my occupation right now, I have to constantly communicate with others who are not exactly close by. Emailing my boss, who is across town, is helping my work flow even more. It’s amazing what we can do in this time.
Open source software or also known as community developed software made me think of a concept we know as sharing or contributing. If one company downloads this certain program they can make changes too effectively to help work for them. Meaning they wouldn't have to go back to the company to request a change, it pretty much gives them full access, or like I said earlier sharing. Friedman said something in this section that caught my attention, "Not being a computer geek, I had never focused much on the open-source movement, but when I did, I discovered ti was amazing universe of its own, with self forming communities of online, come-as-you-are volunteers."
Friedman defines outsourcing as “any service, call center, business support operation, or knowledge work that could be digitized could be sourced globally to the cheapest, smartest, most effective provider.” What I got out of this section was companies that have so much incoming calls cannot answer each of these individuals they would never hang up the phone. Wal-Mart for example, if you needed to call Wal-Mart do you think you would talk to someone directly from the store? You are more likely to be transferred to a call center how has the number/employees to provide the service you request. The crazy thing is that call center might even be in a different state!  They have the technology and equipment to answer your questions to their fullest knowledge.

I am going to be honest; this book is still hard for me to understand. I have to reread a section over and over to fully understand it. What I do know Friedman is one amazing man. I can defiantly tell he looks at the world in a different way. It’s very interesting to read. Even though I am having troubles with the reading, I still know Friedman is one smart guy. Hopefully as I read on that it will be easier for me to understand.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you did a great job explaining what workflow and open source software are and what outsourcing is. I think that these 3 things are good to know because they have helped make the world what it is today. I think that without outsourcing a lot of companies would not be as successful as they are. I totally agree with you that Friedmans book is hard to understand sometimes. Very good essay!

    ReplyDelete